Formerly the baptistery, the chapel is on the east side of the main exit from the Cathedral. It houses the statue acquired in 1993. Madonna and Child by Utah artist Avard Fairbanks. It also contains six original stained glass windows from the early part of this century and two new windows described as the "Vatican II windows." Installed in 1993, the new windows celebrate two of the most important achievements of the Second Vatican Council: the ecumenical movement, symbolized by the standard ecumenical emblem, and the church's commitment to dialogue with the modern world, symbolized by the United Nations' symbol and the words "Lumen Gentium" referring to the church as the light to the nations. The statue of St. Mary Magadalen, carved in the late 1940's by Canadian artist Gordon Newby, is also housed in this room.
|Typanum < Prev||Next > Gothic Interior of Cathedral|